Conversations at Christmas

Confession:

Christmas is not my favorite holiday.

It's my least favorite.

To go into all the reasons for that would be dull...

I could say I don't like the materialism, am not a big fan of shopping or crowded markets - suffer from glühwein headaches... I could tell you I hate the cold: Christmas for me, growing up in the Caribbean, was about playing cricket on the beach, picnic'd turkey on Boxing Day.

Everyone wants it to snow here. Sssh.

Also, all those expectations to be happy. All that pressure to "let's make everything perfect."

And how exactly did Coca-Cola manage to influence everyone into thinking that a big fat man in a white beard brings gifts down a chimney and more importantly how did this concept shimmey it's way into every little boy and girl's dreams all over the world?

Bah, humbug I say.

But in the meantime, here's a little gift for you and your classes over the next 10 days:



Best,
Karenne
p.s. for the new year

Related Links:

& if you've also done a lesson on this theme... do add your link!

5 Responses to “Conversations at Christmas”

  • Carol says:
    December 13, 2009

    Thank you, Karenne!

  • Jason Renshaw says:
    December 14, 2009

    Hi Karenne. First, thanks for the link to the lesson resource - excellent stuff!

    I understand your sentiments about Christmas - I have to admit I felt the same way at times when in a foreign country in the Northern Hemisphere.

    Like you, Christmas to me means beach and cricket! For the first time in a decade, I'm going to be able to enjoy that again, so really relishing it!

    Can also relate your comments about the materialism at Xmas... Unbelievable here in Australia now, and I can't believe how many presents and how much is spent for gifts for kids. Our kids are getting 2-3 modest presents from Santa each, depending on what was indicated in the letter to Santa and all, but already my wife is looking around and wondering if we're coming across as stingy in this place...

    My son Jamie is extremely sceptical about Santa Claus (at age 4, mind): asks me why he sees 10 different ones on the same day in shopping centers, and he also asked me an interesting question about why the volume of presents he sees about the place don't correlate to the size of the sack and sleigh in his Christmas storybooks. Giving some creative answers, but he's a sharp one and explanations about magic sacks and sleighs travelling at three times the speed of light are only going to last so long!

    Chin up, Karenne!

    ~ Jason

  • Nicky says:
    December 14, 2009

    Thanks Karenne! These will definitely get some spins in my rotation this week...

  • KALINAGO ENGLISH says:
    December 15, 2009

    You're very welcome Carol and Nicky - hope you enjoy them. These are actually my favorite set and I never get all the way through the 15 cards in any lesson!!

    Jason, ta - that's very interesting about your son's perceptiveness regarding Santa - he's one very clever boy, he'll probably wind up going into Science or Physics with that genius towards logic.

    I am also very glad to hear that there are parents out there who are about being modest so tell your wife to stop worrying about stinginess...

    When I think back to my childhood, I can remember getting dolls (I was an extreme tomboy, the dolls were my Mum's insistence at trying to make me not a tomboy)... and there was a bike one year (I remember that because I rode over my sister) but... the thing I really, really, really remember about Christmas as a kid was apples.

    Apples don't grow in the Caribbean so it was a huge treat to get these in our Christmas pillows (we didn't have stockings)... and the chocolate from the UK! Yummmy! Rollos and Cadbury Raisin Nut.

    But presents... I can't list them.

    Parents give kids so, so much these days - sometimes I wonder if we're not killing dreams by making everything so accessible (the "where is hope if you always get what you want" conundrum)... but then maybe I'm a bit silly.

    Take care,
    K

  • Jeremy Day says:
    December 15, 2009

    Hi Karenne
    I'm looking forward to spending a couple of weeks with my wife and kids. For me, that's what it's all about - we're not going overboard with prezzies this year. We're not going skiing. We're not going to visit relatives. It's going to be really nice.
    My daughter (6) is seriously excitied about Christmas and my son (2) doesn't know what it's all about yet. But I can't wait to see their faces when they find a stocking with an apple and a few other odds and ends.
    You see, Karenne, Christmas isn't about people like you and me; it's wonderful for the kids.
    Have a merry one. May all your Christmases be white!
    Jeremy

 

Visitors and Regular Readers

Facebook

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Communities of Practice

Directories, catalogs and Back Links

Adult Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites



The EFL ESL Blog List TotalESL.com - ESL/EFL/TEFL Teaching Jobs and Teacher Resumes

International Blogging Directory

Recent Posts

Simply Conversations

Pedagogically sound materials designed to get your students actively talking:

Free Samples
Conversation Control

Shop
General English
Business English
ESP



Learn more on why these work